Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Superman #50 Variant Cover Step 2 Color

Here's the 2nd part of how we made the cover to Superman #50 guest starring Batgirl - this time dealing with the colors!

This was done for Midtown Comics and my DC editor was Mark Chiarello!

The book is out in stores now.


Flats

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

Generally, I hire someone to do this for me - a "flatter".

At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. - the first part of coloring. 

Based off my sketch, I knew almost exactly what I was going to do with one...



Initial color rough in

I colored this on my Cintiq 13 HD using Photoshop CS3 after I scanned the original line art.

Used a big Pencil to rough innate 100% of color then used lower % to work to add lighter and darker values. Used a Custom "Cloud" brush to rough in the background. Plus the Gradient tool to break up some of the flatter areas. 


Detail of same shot


Began Batgirl - keeping her more "cuts" as opposed to rendering. Moved to the next level with Supes and Background...


This cover matches up with a Batman cover  (see Step 1) so I began adding the Blue elements from that cover in on the right side, plus the next level of rendering on Supes.


Converting Lineart to Color.

Adding Reflective color.

General cleanup.


Detail of Lineart colored...


Final colors.

Pushed the contrast on Batgirl.

Cleaned the Background.


The Printed cover.

Next time, the Batman side....

TD


No comments:

Post a Comment