Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Star Wars #16 Step by Step Part 1 Lineart


How we made the Star Wars #16 cover - out now from Marvel Comics!


Part 1 Lineart

So the first thing to do is come up with a cover sketch. Leia guarding Stormtroopers given to me by my Marvel Editors Jordan White and Heather Antos - pretty simple!

Cover Rough

Leia guarding Stormtroopers given to me by my Marvel Editors Jordan White adn Heather Antos - pretty simple!

Sketch was approved as is!

 The sketches are drawn at 2x3 inches in my sketchbook in pencil and pen and then cleaned up and colored in Photoshop.


Initial Pencils

My initial pencils drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12 x 18 Bristol Board,


Final pencils.


Detail of Leia


Lineart

Rachel Dodson's inks over my pencils with a Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable #2 Brush and Higgins Black Magic Ink to ink the covers with.



Leia Detail


Stormtrooper Detail

Next - 

Part 2 



TD





2 comments:

  1. Love this cover. I wish you had done the inside art as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love drawing Star Wars but Leinil Yu did an amazing job on the interiors - its was fun to see him draw Leia :-)

      Delete