Thursday, October 13, 2016

Superwoman #2 Step by Step Part 2 Color




Here's a look at how we made the Superwoman #2 cover


FLATS

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

Generally, I hire someone to do this for me - a "flatter".


At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. - the first part of coloring

And I begin working on the background. 


BACKGROUND

Used a Custom "Cloud" brush to rough in the background. 


I change my mind and decide to link this to the Superwoman #1 cover by using my painterly "Leyendecker" background.


Background finished


Detail


Initial Rough In

I colored this on my Cintiq 22 HD using Photoshop CS3 .


Used a big Pencil to rough in at 100% of color then used lower % to work to add lighter and darker values.


I did a lot of coloring at this stage - adding the  lights and darks on all areas of the art.

Still using the Pencil tool for all this...


Coloring Line Art

At this point I like to color the line art... 

I begin by coloring the flesh tones and hair.


Final Colors


Final Details 

I add the little electrical sparks at this final stage.

Done!

Part 1

LINE ART

TD

No comments:

Post a Comment