Thursday, January 5, 2017

Star Wars #25 Cover Step by Step Part 1 Pencils

Here's a look at how we made this Star Wars 25 Cover - out in stores now!



Get it here from MILE HIGH COMICS

First step is the cover sketch-


COVER SKETCH

The cover concepts I sent into Marvel Comics Editors Heather Antos and Jordan White and Lucasfilm for approval.

Roughs were drawn at 2" x 3" in my sketchbook using Warm Grey Copics then colored in Photoshop CS3.

Now this series of covers were set to me by Marvel as Stormtroopers. I suggested we make the final two Han and Chewie - see HERE - and Luke and Leia on the Death Star in the Stormtrooper outfits - some of my favorite scenes from A NEW HOPE!


PENCILS

Drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12" x 18" Bristol Board 


At this point just quickly roughed in the drawing making sure the composition still help.

I printed out my rough in light blue on the paper to ensure the composition was positioned correctly.



Being a Star Wars piece I like to go in and nail down the likenesses first. I alway draw the faces out of my head to ensure expression and Terry Dodson-ness, then I find photos in similar position AFTERWARD to match MY drawing - not vice versa.


Now it is Leia's turn!


Now that I'm happy with the characters, I work on the nitty gritty, costumes, guns etc using whatever reference is necessary.


In this case I have this to reference the costume off!


Luke!


And done!

Next up, INKS in 

PART 2

TD

No comments:

Post a Comment