Monday, November 7, 2016

Superwoman #3 Cover Step by Step Part 1 Line Art


Here's a look at how we made the Superwoman #3 cover.

PART 1

Line Art


COVER SKETCH

My initial sketches for the cover submitted to DC Comics. This featured the new Superwoman... now firmly in her role!

Roughs were drawn at 2" x 3" in my sketchbook using Warm Grey Copics then colored in Photoshop CS3.



Pencils

Drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12" x 18" Bristol Board .

This went very fast, drew the figure first, then clouds, then background.

I know exactly how this will look in color so line art is there just as a basis for my colors.


Detail

Detail of my pencils.

Gave myself the information I need to color. Didn't labor over  any of the line art.


Inks

Rachel Dodson inks over my pencils with a Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable #2 Brush and Higgins Black Magic Ink to ink the covers with. 



Detail of final inks

Rachel nailed everything down. Background very simple...


Detail

Lovely hair lines!

Next time - 


TD

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for continuing to share your work and creative process Terry!

    What do you start from - before the sketch? Are you sent a brief or do you and the editor talk about what is going to happen in that issue?

    Kindly,
    Jonathan Gilpin,
    Coordinator,
    Lexington KY Comic Creators Group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, all the above! These 3 Superwoman covers were very unusual cases because of the actual storyline - and spoilers, etc. But I generally know the story or at least what is wanted in general. In the case of the Superwoman, I had exactly in my head the ideas myself without knowing the storylines... which is the most fun way to work!

      Delete