Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Star Wars 50 Step by Step Part 1 Pencils


Our variant cover for Star Wars #50 - out now from Marvel Comics - a family portrait!

Check out how we made it.


COVER SKETCH

The cover concept I sent into Marvel Comics and Lucasfilm for approval.

Roughs were drawn at 2" x 3" in my sketchbook using Warm Grey Copics then colored in Photoshop CS3.

I had a pretty idea of what I wanted to with this one so you can so I set up a pretty simply design with just some editorial tweaks for background figures.


INITIAL PENCILS

Drawn in Light Blue on 12" x 18" Bristol Board 

Quickly roughed in the drawing making sure the composition still help.

I printed out my rough in light blue on the paper to ensure the composition was positioned correctly.


Now that I'm happy with the layout I proceed to penciling - using Staedtler HB lead.


Detail - notice the TRACING PAPER over Leia's face so I don't blur with my hand.



Here I used a Micron Pigma 02 Pen to ink the Tie Fighter


Almost Finished Pencils



And the scan of the pencils....

Next time, 

PART 2

INKS 

TD



No comments:

Post a Comment