Monday, September 5, 2016

Star Wars 22 Cover Step by Step Part 2 COLOR

So, here's a look at how we made the Star Wars #22 Mile High Comics Scout Trooper Variant Cover!


Get the comic from MILE HIGH COMICS

Part 2

COLOR


The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.


Flats were done by Gilly Renk.


Detail


Initial Rough In

I colored this on my Cintiq 22 HD using Photoshop CS3 .


 Detail

First thing I do is use the Paint Bucket tool to adjust all the colors to the palette I'm using.

Then I rough in the initial darks. I used the Pencil tool at 100%.


Intermediate Stage

Added more lights and darks with the Pencil tool. And began adding variation in the shadows to show the environment of where the Scout Trooper is (not just in a sterile studio...) Lassoing and using the Gradient in the background.


Finally, used a Custom Texture Brush to add detail to trees and "dirt" on trooper.


Finishing up


Coloring Line Art

At this point I like to color the line art... especially the interior edges and the edges facing the strongest light. Of course, I lose as much of the line as possible - especially as I move away from the "camera".

And that's it!

TD

Part 1


TD

No comments:

Post a Comment