Tuesday, September 6, 2016

RED ONE #3 Cover Step by Step Part 1 Line Art

RED ONE #3 is out in stores September 7th from Image Comics.



Xavier Dorison Script 
Pencils and Colors Me 
Rachel Dodson Inks  
Clayton Cowles Letters 

Lauren Sankovitch Edits 
                         
30 pages of full color comic story for $2.99!

Buy IN STORE


Buy DIGITALLY 


At Comixology



Here's a look behind making the cover of RED ONE #3!


What my desk looked like for drawing the RED ONE #3 cover.


INITIAL PENCILS

Drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12" x 18" Bristol Board .

I roughed in the motorcycle in on tracing paper.


At this point I scan in to look at the drawing for errors on the computer.

Next to nail down the bike -

Photo Ref

 I had Rachel take photos of a 1969 Honda R90 motorcycle.


Going to finishes on hair and mask and working my way down the illustration.
You see all that redraw on the motorcycle? It turns out the motorcycles I typically draw for Vera are bigger 250cc bikes and I kept trying to make my photo ref of the 90cc moto work and beefing up the engine, etc. I couldn't understand why I was having so tough a time drawing ... wrong ref!


Detail shot



Detail of Bike


Finished Pencils

I ended up just making do and compromising between the bike I wanted and the photo ref. You can see the foot isn't as finished as I like but I lost SO much time reworking the bike that I needed to get Rachel inking this...


Close up detail of the pencils...


INKS

                                 Here's Rachel Dodson's initial inks.


Rachel uses Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable #2 Brush and Higgins Black Magic Ink to ink the covers with.

On one of Rachel's breaks I finished up the leg details.


And the final inks!


Detail


Detail

Next time-

PART TWO


TD



2 comments: