Thursday, September 8, 2016

RED ONE #3 Cover Step by Step Part 2 Color

RED ONE #3 is out in stores September 7th from Image Comics.



Xavier Dorison Script 
Pencils and Colors Me 
Rachel Dodson Inks  
Clayton Cowles Letters 

Lauren Sankovitch Edits 
                         
30 pages of full color comic story for $2.99!

Buy IN STORE


Buy DIGITALLY 


At Comixology


At Image 

Here's a look behind making the cover of RED ONE #3 - Step by Step Part 2 COLORS



FLATS

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

I did the flats this one myself so at this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. 

At this point I knew what colors I wanted so it was a matter of rendering from here on out.


Detail


Initial Rough In

I colored this on my Cintiq 22 HD using Photoshop CS3 .


Used the Pencils Tool at 100% and roughed in the initial dark values on the flesh tones.


Begin converting Line Art to Color.


I almost always start with the fleshes...


Detail of the screen shot from Photoshop CS3


FINAL COLORS

I add the final highlights to the flesh, so minor Gradient Tool and Line Art coloring to the bike.



Detail 

Highlights on the goggles on the Top Layer and you can see the coloring on the suit's black lines.


And I how pictured the cover all along.

This is what I sent to the Image Comics Production Manager and Whiz Kid Jonathan Chan!


And the final cover!

PART 1

LINE ART

No comments:

Post a Comment