Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Star Wars #16 Step by Step Part 2 Color


How we made the Star Wars #16 cover - out now from Marvel Comics!

Part 2 COLOR


Flats

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

Generally, I hire someone to do this for me - a "flatter".

At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. - the first part of coloring. 


Initial Color Rough in

I colored this on my Cintiq 13 HD using Photoshop CS3 after I scanned the original line art.


Detail 1


Refine and adding lights and darks.


Detail 2


Begin turning lineart to color - really focused on Leia first.. plus working on reflective light.


Detail 3


Final colors

Add a shadow across Leia's legs to focus the piece more.

And then colored lineart on Stormtroopers


How my screen looks... 


Reworked lighting on Leia's Face, the red glow of the Numbers (77 of course),  and lots of little clean ups.

And the printed art-


Out in stores now by Jason Aaron and Leinil Yu!

PART 1


TD

No comments:

Post a Comment