Wednesday, July 16, 2014

X-MEN #16 Cover Step by Step Part ONE - Pencils

Here's a look behind how the cover of X-Men #13 was created (out in stores this week from Marvel Comics - written by Brian Wood with art by Matteo Buffagni).



First step is to do sketches for approval by Marvel Comics for the cover. I was told to do a very Storm-centric cover.


The sketches are drawn at 2x3 inches in my sketchbook in pencil and pen and then cleaned up and colored in Photoshop.


I send these in to my Editor Daniel Ketcham for approval. 

In the meantime, it turns out the new Storm book is being published the same month, so Marvel opts to go with a team shot instead.

C is chosen.




My initial rough in of the pencils, drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12 x 18 Bristol Board.


Moved Storm'a pose some more


Refining and finishing the drawings


Almost done but want to use Storms cape as a design element...


So I draw this in Photoshop to play with the shapes



The final pencils


Detail

Next time, Rachel's inks!


You can find this comic at your local comic book retailer


And digitally at 



TD

No comments:

Post a Comment