Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Legendary Star-Lord #1 Variant Cover Step by Step Part THREE COLORS

Here's a look of how we created the Variant Cover to Legendary Star-Lord #1 by Marvel Comics.

The book is out now written by Sam Humphries and drawn by Paco Medina.

Now for part three - my color process...


FLATS - there is where the magic starts,

The first stage of coloring is to have the art "flatted".

Flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point.


My initial rough in of the colors, just focusing on Kitty Pryde here. Done in Photoshop CS3 with a Wacom Cintiq 13HD. I add darker values first and then the lighter values.


Moving right along - adding a little rendering to all the characters and starting to get the background where I want it - coloring coloring coloring...


I then move right into altering the lineart to color.


Detail of working of the lineart


Here are the final colors 


Details of the final colors


And how it looked in print!

You can find this comic at your local comic book retailer


And digitally at 



TD



1 comment: