Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Catwoman #30 Step by Step - PART ONE - Pencils

Here's a look of how the cover to Catwoman 30 was made…

The ideas for this cover was to feature the start of a "Race of Thieves" so I decided to play up the racing angle using the black and white checkered flag, Red Flags , and Trophies.

My cover sketches I sent to Editor Rachel Gluckstern at DC Comics for approval.

They were
drawn at 2x3 inches in my sketchbook in pencil and Pitt/Pigma pens and Copic Grey Markers and then cleaned up and colored in Photoshop.

Sketch A was picked.

Also, one of the villains on the cover, ROULETTE,


 hadn't had new 52 redesign done yet so I did it in order to keep the cover on the schedule.


Sketches done in my sketchbook and then "colored" in PS.

Rachel G. liked this but suggested a little more modern hairstyle - like Mako Mori from Pacific Rim


And we are off..


My  initial pencils, drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12 x 18 Bristol Board.


This cover went pretty quick so essentially just tightening things up... 


 Nailing down the background… 



And finally spotting the blacks on Catwoman's blue "catsuit"... 

The clock is ticking so I hand off to Rachel Dodson to ink before I add the BLACK AND WHITE flags.


The cover is out now!


You can find this comic at your local comic book retailer


And digitally at Comixology 


Enjoy!

TD






No comments:

Post a Comment