Tuesday, January 21, 2014

X-MEN #9 Cover Step by Step

Here's a look behind how the cover of X-MEN #9 was created - out in stores this week from MARVEL COMICS - written by Brian Wood with art by me, Rachel Dodson, Jason Keith .


The first step is to send in cover sketches to X-MEN Editor Jeanine Schaeffer. Here we have X-Men's Psylocke versus THE SISTERHOOD.

C2 was the winner.


My  pencils, drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12 x 18 Bristol Board.


Detail of my pencils…


Rachel Dodson's inks with  a Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable #2 Brush and Higgins Black Magic ink, plus a little tech pen and croquille for the straight lines.


Details of Rachel's inks.
The art is then scanned and cleaned in Photoshop and then we go to color...


My initial colors...


and my final - can you see the differences? Enlarge and compare…


Detail of my colors...

 I use Photoshop CS3 with a Wacom Intuos Graphics Tablet to color.

TD



No comments:

Post a Comment