Monday, January 13, 2014

X-MEN #7 Page 9 Step by Step

A look behind the making of  Marvel Comics X-Men #7 Page 9 (out in stores now).

Script by Brian Wood.


This page was drawn on 12 x 17 Marvel stock bristol board, using a Col Erase Light Blue and Staedtler HB Lead pencil. I rough in all pencils quickly and bear in mind perspective, etc as I everything will be off if it's not correct at the beginning. Knowing the perspective actually makes drawing the panels a lot easier to draw to boot!


 A lot of times I  start with the "easiest" to draw elements first, to give myself a mental lift of having a page "almost" completed at the beginning :-).



There was very little  character storytelling, so I got that done as the rest of the page was very mechanical to do.


The finished page.

Rachel inking directly on my pencils, using a Windsor Newton Series 7 #2 Sable Brush, Higgins Black Magic Ink plus a croquille and tech pen for some details.


The artwork is then scanned and cleaned in Photoshop - I adjust the panels so they all fit and have proper borders.

 Then I put it on the Marvel Server for the colorist.

TD





2 comments: