Saturday, December 9, 2017

Star Wars #38 Step by Step Part 3 Color

Our variant cover for Star Wars #38 - out now from Marvel Comics - a chance to draw Luke and Leia and X-Wings and Jedha!


Check out how we made it.

PART 3

COLOR

FLATS



The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

I try to adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. 


INITIAL COLOR (ROUGH IN)


I colored this on my Cintiq 22 HD using Photoshop CS3 .



I rough in quickly all the medium lights and darks on the figures and cast initial shadows.

Using the Pencil Tool (Hard Round pixel Brush) at 100% to to begin and then switch to lower 30-50% to get the right value of color for the next stages of rendering.

RIM LIGHT, GRADIENT, ROSY CHEEKS


On layers above the initial rough in -

LAYER 1 - Used the Gradient tool to fade out the background

LAYER 2 - I added Rosy cheeks to Leia and rounded out her face referencing photos from Empire 
Strikes Back

LAYER 3 - I added the yellow rim light to Luke using the Pencils tool at 100%

COLORING THE LINE ART


This is the icing on the cake step of the process.

I just started working on Luke here...


I colored a lot of the characters black lines, notice the lips, flesh outline and the rocks and clouds in the background.


Fun stuff!

ALMOST FINAL 


The colors I submitted to Marvel, editor Heather Antos had me light the background behind Luke...

FINAL COLOR 


Great suggestion, Heather!

PART 1


PART 2

LINE ART


TD

No comments:

Post a Comment