Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Medusa Inhumans Vs X-Men #5 Cover Step by Step Part 3 COLOR


Inhumans Vs X-Men #5 Variant Covers featuring that magnificently tressed Inhuman, Medusa.

By Rachel Dodson and Me.

Out now from Marvel Comics.

And here is Part 3 of the Step by Step -

COLOR


FLATS
The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

I try to adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. 


INITIAL COLOR (ROUGH IN)

I colored this on my Cintiq 22 HD using Photoshop CS3 .

Here I rough in quickly all the medium lights and darks on the figures and cast initial shadows.

Using the Pencil Tool at 100% to knock those in.


BACKGROUND 

Creating the background with 7 different colors in 6 color rows...


ADDITIONAL ROUGH IN

I went on the rest of the figure and face and knocked the next lights and darks using the pencils tooling at 70-80%.


I go to the next level of darker darks and lighter lights


RIM LIGHT

 I then added the rim light on another layer


REFLECTIVE LIGHT

 And reflective light on another layer as well


COLORING THE LINE ART


This is the icing on the cake step of the process.



FINAL ART

And DONE!

And for PART 1


PART 2


TD

2 comments: