Saturday, May 14, 2016

Captain America 75th Cover Art - Step by Step Part 2 Color

Here a look at how we made the cover art (used as a variant cover on OLD MAN LOGAN #3)

Part 2 COLOR


FLAT COLOR

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

Generally, I hire someone to do this for me - a "flatter".

At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. - the first part of coloring. 

Based off my sketch, I knew almost exactly what I was going to do with one...


INITIAL COLORS

I colored this on my Cintiq 13 HD using Photoshop CS3 after I scanned the original line art.

Used a big Pencil to rough in at 100% of color then used lower % to work to add lighter and darker values. AND the Gradient tool to break up the flat background.

This had to be turned around REALLY QUICK so lots of work done initially!


Detail


BACKGROUND

Used a Custom "Cloud" brush to rough in the background. 


COLORING LINEART

Converting Lineart to Color.

Adding Reflective color.

General cleanup.


Detail


FINAL COLOR ART

This went really quick so not a lot of stages - did more tweaks to line art/color - Bucky's backside, tricep...


Per Editorial - removal of gun


ACTUAL COMIC


TD



No comments:

Post a Comment