Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Star Wars: Vader Down #1 CBLDF Variant Cover - Step 2 Color


Here's the second part of a look at how we created the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund Cover for Star Wars: Vader Down #1  out now from Marvel Comics.

The Color Stage 

Colored  in Photoshop CS3 using a Wacom Cintiq 13HD.


Flats

 The first stage of coloring is to have the art "flatted".

Flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece.


Next I roughed in the background - I knew I wanted a Leyendecker style painted background - so I did that using a singly "brushy" looking brush set at about 20% multiply.

I also roughed in the colors on the characters. 


Refining the colors and begin converting Lineart to color.


Pushing the lights and darks plus start using Luke's Lightsaber to influence the lighting. 


The final colors.  


Detail of Leia.


Detail of clothing - I love doing big Leyendecker type strokes on fabric - Struzan did this on his first Star Wars poster! 


LUKE - I am your father! 


The final product - out now! 

TD




No comments:

Post a Comment