Friday, November 8, 2013

Ghost #1 Cover Step by Step PART TWO Pencils to Ink

Here's the next step of creating the cover to Ghost #1, out this month from Dark Horse. Written by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Christopher Sebela and art by Ryan Sook,

After I turned in the pencils seen in PART ONE I received feedback from Dark Horse to make some minor changes to Ghost's costume so I used it as an opportunity to change a couple of things that bothered me in the original pencils.

 I started on a new piece of paper with a blue line printout of the original pencils on it. I used light blue and HB lead on 13" x 19" Bristol Board.


I wanted to give the pose a little more dynamism and movement - so I had Ghost's right foot coming "atcha"!






And this is what I gave to Rachel Dodson to work on because…

Rachel had started working on the original pencils.




Rachel uses Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable #2 Brush and Higgins Black Magic ink to ink the covers with.


This is Rachel's inks over my original pencils.


This is the ink's over the 2nd pencils.


And the magic of Photoshop where I combined the images together.

Onto the color…

TD



2 comments: