Wednesday, August 14, 2013

INFINITY #6 Hero Cover Step by Step

Here's  a step by step making of the "Hero" Variant cover of Infinity #6, shipping in October from Marvel Comics - for more info -



On with the show -


I do cover roughs in my 11 x 14 Canson Sketchbook using Col Erase Light Blue Pencil, Pigma Micron and Copic Warm Grey Pens.

Then I scan these in and clean up and color in Photoshop.

These are the prelim sketches I did for approval by my Marvel editor, Lauren Sankovitch. I needed to show 9 different heroes and so went with a movie poster style cover.

They went with A.


Here's my work in progress pencils - drawn on 12 x 18 Bristol Board with Col Erase Light Blue and HB Pencil.


                                                                                    Final pencils.


Rachel Dodson inks done with Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable #2 Brush and Higgins Black Magic ink.


After the inks were scanned and cleaned in Photoshop - I decided to go ahead and color without the use of flats

 (see my previous Step by Steps for more about flats - http://thebombshellter.blogspot.com/2013/06/new-avengers-7-wolverine-house-of-m.html )

just "paint" directly - I use Photoshop CS3 and a Wacom Intuos Graphics Tablet.


How it looks with the Line Art on.


More refining,


Start getting colors on to all the elements.


Finalizing rendering.


Ends up looking like this with the Line Art on and I begin working on FX on the Lineart itself.


I finish up SFX and smooth out fleshtones and coloring the lineart.

The final art.

TD



4 comments:

  1. Cool process. I'd really like to see a splash cover like this with your original characters some day. So many Pro artists are now stepping ahead of Marvel and doing their own thing, which gradually leads to movie deals like 300 and Kick-ass.

    Many years ago, back in 1998 / 1999, I remember walking into a small magazine store. And I saw a Playboy / Penthouse mag - can't remember which one - with a blonde chick on the cover.... but the magazines were arranged right beside the comic called Generation X, which showcased the blonde Emma Frost and Bianca [dressed in green]. My jaw almost bounced off the floor, as I'd never seen such gorgeous curvy ladies before. So I did what any smart warm-blooded guy would do; I bought the book that had the better cover image!! That's the power of the art by Terry Dodson!! :D

    Been a fan since then, but I also know that work at Marvel & DC pays well. Yet you and Rachel, a King and Queen of art, deserve 1,000-Times more than anything the Big-2 offer, because you guys literally give life to their Original Characters.
    Yet I believe that quality always speaks for itself, regardless of the drawn character. And I'm looking forward to your quality art and more Super Original Characters soon!! Keep up the good work Mr. Dodson!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to be able to color like that . . . and pencil like that . . . and ink . . . well, you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete